12/1/09

Dec. 1 - Remember Holiday Memories

December daily - 1stDecember daily - 1st

Welcome to December!  Hard to believe it is already upon us...but it IS here and this year I am determined to make the most of it!  Everyday this month there will be a post with a question, an answer and of course some photos!

Here we go...

What is your earliest holiday memory?

I don't have a specific memory from my childhood, but one that I remember vividly is always spending Christmas at my Grandma Loretta's house.  She always had every nook and cranny decorated for Christmas, the wood stove was always burning, lots of goodies to munch on, a huge dinner {big enough to feed the town}.  She didn't have a large tree and the presents always seemed to just "spill" out from under it and all through the house.  I always loved the smells in her house too.  Seems like there was always a pot of cinnamon sticks on the stove and then there were the aromas of the turkey, homemade rolls, cinnamon bread {oh what I would give to have just one piece right now} caramel corn, cookies...you name it, I am pretty sure we had it.

I loved going to her house for Christmas because she always gave wonderful presents that made you feel like you were the only one on her list.  She knew just what each of us wanted and probably more importantly what we needed.  Practicality was her middle name!  And you knew you were loved!  I don't ever remember a time when she didn't tell me how special I was or how much she loved me.

Wow!  I didn't expect to get so emotional writing this, but alas, I am.  I am missing her more today than I have in a long time.  Every once in awhile I need that steady ear and wisdom to rely on.  It's hard for me to find my own strength some days...today being one of those.  I want to go down to the bank after work and have her take me to get a coke at C+.  I want my kids to know her.  I want her to remind me that even though people aren't always nice to us, Jesus wants us to be nice to them anyways {even though it's hard, He knows that}.  I want to smell her, feel her arms hugging me, look into her eyes and see happiness and joy.  I want to hear her tell me that she is proud of me as a wife and mother.  I want my kids to call her Granny or some other endearing term.  I just want my Grandma!

Thank you Grandma Loretta for all the wonderful lessons you taught me and for making my holiday memories magical!  I love you!

May your walls know joy,
may every room hold laughter,
and every window open to great possibility.
- Mary Anne Radmacher

2 comments:

mom said...

I too miss her the MOST during the holidays...what a wonderful tribute...I have alot to live up to with your kids...Thanks for the post about my mom....

mom

Anonymous said...

A nostalgic time of year, easy to get lost in memories of generations gone. I was crying for you by the end, and for me, and for our children ~ and for the memories that fade, but the warm place still burning in our hearts.

I have just snatches of Christmas memories, but they all center around large family gatherings. Cousins from out-of-state here to play, getting to slumber party with them at Grandma's house, with the dining room table as the fort/sleeping quarters, and only the glow-in-the dark socks Grandma gave each of us as gifts to light things up.

Great Grandma's formal table and place markers, rolls in a brown bag, the distant cousin who never came out of the basement the whole trip.

Santa made an actual appearance on Christmas Eve at our family gatherings, even as I grew older, never knowing for sure who was behind that beard.

Underoos for all the grandkids, lining up for a picture, that picture of all of us in our underoos still haunting us 25 years later.

Now I'm crying again, so I'm going to stop. Enough reflection on what has been lost. I still have one Grandma here now to share with, to learn from before it is too late. I have a husband and children and nieces and nephews now to help create NEW life-long memories with. I am blessed, this season I will strive not to forget that!

Love,
Traci