12/17/09

Dec 17 - Santa

Recall preparations you made for Santa.
santa_claus
COOKIES & MILK!

AND CARROTS {for the reindeer}!!!

It is amazing that Santa is able to eat sooo many cookies and drink so much milk on Christmas Eve! 

Sidenote: {I have never really thought about it until now, but do you suppose Santa makes a pit stop at random peoples houses?  I mean, why wouldn't he need to use the restroom periodically after drinking all that milk?  Just a thought.  Maybe this year I will leave a note with directions to the bathroom and make sure to have it CLEAN!}

In an effort not to weigh Santa down for the sleigh - ride, we typically leave only one cookie and a small glass of milk.  For the reindeer, we leave a small handful of carrots {should probably leave more since there are 8 reindeer...}.

I saw a cookie for santa plate and a glass that looked like a milk carton and I am having some buyers remorse now that I didn't purchase that set.  It would be fun to have special plate and cup that we use every year that is "just" for Santa and the reindeer!  Note to self:  Order it next year if you see one!

Another fun thing I have heard of doing, but have yet to do it is to sprinkle baking soda in the shape of footprints to look like Santa had tracked in snow the night before.  There are a couple of reasons I haven't done this...

1} white powder on everyone on Christmas morning doesn't sound like a ton of fun to me!

2} one more mess to have to clean up Christmas morning!

and

3} I think my kids are smart enough to know that snow melts and with my luck they would probably test it out with their tongues and the secret would be out!

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.  He exists a certainly as love
and generosity and devotion exists, and you know that they
abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy."
- Charles Dana, editorial in the NY Sun, 1897, to a letter

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dad would always tell us that he had went out to feed the horses, and saw reindeer tracks at the water tank! We were SO excited that we could leave Santa cookies and milk, and also water the reindeer! This is the same guy who told us that he shot Rudolf (every year)... :)