5/18/09

Kitchen Cabinet Re-do

Okay, I promised pictures last week, but the weekend just went too fast...with all the bike riding and t-ball practice and such. But I did manage to take off a few of the doors and re-arrange some things to see if I would like having open shelving.

IMG_5202

IMG_5209

And I also left the foam board up to decide if I wanted to go with the black or the white. This is a picture of the bottom cabinets with the black next to the counters and stove.

IMG_5210

Here's my thoughts after the weekend of thinking. What I like about white cabinets is the contrast between the cabinets and the counters and floors. For me, there wouldn't be much of a contrast and I think I would become very frustrated with the "dingy" look of my counters and backsplash compared to crisp white cabinets. {The counters and backsplash HAVE to stay for now...no options there.}

I also like the contrast of the dark cabinets and the light counters...which I would have if I went with the black paint. Keeping in mind that this is just a temporary solution and sometime within the next 10 years I hope to do a complete kitchen re-model. This just needs to get me by until then and get the circus color scheme out of my kitchen before I pull my hair out!

We have been living with the open shelving unit for a little over a day now and I am not used to it yet. I am going to give it at least a couple of weeks before I make the final decision about that one. One thing I DO like about it is that it gives the kitchen a "decorative" element that it definitely was missing prior to!

So, weigh in with your opinions {not that I will really take them into consideration, because it is MY kitchen after - all, but I DO want to hear what you have to say! Just ask Jeremy what I told him when he said, "Well I DON'T like the black!}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is going to demonstrate my incredible knowledge of all things decorating and cabinetry. On the open-face cabinets, would you paint the inside shelves and 'walls' black also? Let us know what you decide! Is this a pre-baby project?

Traci