3/30/10

Spaghetti Sauce

I have long been searching for a spaghetti sauce recipe that was good.  You know, not just a bunch of diced tomatoes, something with some presence.

Well I found a recipe on Tasty Kitchen for a goulash that had an okay sounding sauce, so I decided to use it for my inspiration point and dive in from there.  So here's my version of it:

  • 1 swirl around the pan of olive oil
  • 1 med-lg onion, chopped
  • 1 sm green pepper, chopped
  • 1 - 1.5 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning OR 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato sauce
Heat the olive oil over med-high heat.  When hot add the onion and green pepper and cook until onions are transparent and green peppers are soft.  Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and simmer over heat while cooking spaghetti according to package directions. 

Now, we are the kind of family who likes our sauce all mixed in with our spaghetti.  There will be no sauce on top of noodles around here.  Mix it all together and we are one happy bunch!  That's just how we roll around here!

I will say that I originally used 1 tsp of the creole seasoning and it was a little too much, even for our spicy selves.  So I would cut it back to at least 1/2 tsp or even 1/4 or if you really don't like any heat, I would go with chili powder...same idea, just no heat!

I suppose you could call this a Cajun spaghetti or maybe Mexican spaghetti...you could definitely smell the heat when we came back in the house from playing in the backyard with Papa Jene and Grandma! But it is a keeper.

If it weren't 9:00 and the kids hadn't completely worn me out today, I would be knocking out some scrumptious cupcakes.  But there is always tomorrow..so come 12:30 there will be a "whole lot of baking going on" round here!!!  I can't wait to see how they turn out...and I am thinking they will be DELIGHTFUL since the have Oreos as an ingredient...if they are good I will share, maybe!

1 comment:

PenWorthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.